Dear LaGuardia Parents,
For those of you who could not attend our Navigating LaGuardia Q&A panel on Tuesday, Sep 16, here are some of the key points of what was a well-attended Academic Forum.
Thanks to those who came and to Dr.’s Mars & Stricklin and AP’s Marrero & Shin for their attendance.
Sources of information & communication:
- The weekly Yellow Sheet (found and archived on the LaGuardia website under My LaGuardia as the Student Bulletin) is a comprehensive guide. You must be signed up on Daedalus to receive the YS via email from Dr. Stricklin. Contact parent coordinator Natalia Castano (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a Daedalus login – it appears that many Freshmen parents are in need of a new one.
- The school calendar on the LaGuardia website is updated regularly. It also pulls new events into your phone through the iCal app. However a recent bug has been fixed and users should DELETE and REINSTALL the iCal app for updates.
- Studio meetings, Parents Association meetings & Academic Meetings are all held monthly.
Daedalus V. Pupil Path
- These are independent databases that may have redundant information. Both are found under Login on LaGuardia website (link: http://laguardiahs.org)
- Daedalus (link: https://parents.theschoolsystem.net/home.rb) is the platform for students to select new classes in the spring, so they need a login if they don’t have one yet.
- Pupil Path (link: https://pupilpath.skedula.com/auth/login/) holds grades, homework, attendance and more. Not all teachers have migrated to Pupil Path but their portal will often direct you to their favored site. Dr. Mars is encouraging migration of all information to Pupil Path.
- LaG is on a semester scheme with 4 report cards. Only the January and June final grades appear on the child’s transcript. The other interim grades are for you to discuss in parent/teacher conferences. More interim grades (homework & tests) are available on Pupil Path. LaG is making a big emphasis on grade transparency. First report card is October 30 and first PT conferences are Nov. 5 &7.
- Parent coordinator Natalia Castano for all non-academic, non-studio concerns.
- Email teachers directly (emails available on website)
- AP of department for follow-up (available on website)
- Programming concerns: Laura Van Keulen (email@example.com)
- Head of Guidance department: Mark Stricklin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Schedules & afterschool
LaGuardia, as a multi-schedule school working on 3 different daily schedules, is not affected by recent teacher contract and afterschool schedules. Dr. Mars is working with the new coordinator of student activities, Neal Singh to bring in alumni lecture series.
Global (Social Studies)
- AP Mr. Shin is aware of the situation with a substitute teacher for Freshman Global. The holdup is on paperwork for the new teacher and is in the hands of the DOE. The school is also frustrated & hopes the new teacher will be in place next week.
- High School ARISTA is not a continuation of Middle School ARISTA. i.e. if your student was in middle school ARISTA, he or she still must prove 3 semesters of 90 average to be in ARISTA. Sophomore 2nd semester is the time to do this.
- Open daily from period 2 through period 9. After school, students can choose to use the Riverside branch library, whose second floor holds a teen center complete with computers and printers just for teens; or the Library for the Performing Arts, one of the worlds best research libraries devoted to the study of the performing arts. Both libraries are across the street from the school.
- Our online library is laguardia.wikispaces.comand linked under the MyLaGuardia section of the school homepage. All resources aregrouped by subject area.
- Students may check out books on their lunch or free periods. The MyLibraryNYC partnership with the New York Public Library (NYPL) also allows students to search and hold books from the NYPL for checkout at either of the two NYPL libraries across the street from LaGuardia. An outside library drop box in front of the Riverside branch library on Amsterdam avenue allows for easy returns. New students will receive their MyLibraryNYC cards in the spring.
If you did attend this last Academic Forum, please give us some Feedback.
Upcoming Academic Forum:
Oct 16th – A Parents’ Guide to LaGuardia Student Resources
The Academic Co-Chairs
You can reach us at: LaGuardiaAF@gmail.com